Having an ant infestation is one of the most annoying things any homeowner can go through. Picture this, you are sitting in your living room watching TV and you notice a line of ants marching in a little straight line carrying bits of sugar or whatever they have successfully foraged from your pantry. It is enough to drive anyone to the edge, not only are they not aesthetically pleasing, some ants carry bacteria with them and can be harmful to our health. Ants in West Palm Beach Florida can be particularly annoying and difficult to get rid of without professional help.
What attracts ants to your home?
Contrary to popular belief, what could be attracting ants to your home is not just untidiness. There are a number of other factors that attract ant colonies to building their homes with you.
- ● Moisture- water and damp spaces attract ants. Ants love water so you will most likely find ants in your bathroom if you have leaky pipes or water trapped in corners. The kitchen is also another prime spot for ants to seek out moisture in your home. You should tighten all pipes and turn off your taps to avoid dripping water.
- ● Shelter- ants are just like every other animal; they have an instinctive desire to seek out shelter. If your home is easily accessible to ants they will come in and make it their home. Close doors, windows, and any other cracks ants can use as access points to your domain. This can be especially tricky since ants are tiny and can get through the smallest spaces. Installing a screen door can help close off ants access to your home.
- ● Food spills- ants are attracted to the scent and taste of sugary foods. Leaving spills from food or drinks without cleaning them up immediately will definitely attract ants in their numbers. Store food in airtight containers and clean spills on bottles of honey or syrup to discourage ants from migrating to your home.
- ● The foliage around your home- having trees and plants that are in contact with your building can help ants move from tree branches directly into your home as they search for food and shelter. Clear away plants and trim your flowers and decorative plants to avoid ants using them as a ladder into your home.
Are ants dangerous?
While most species of ants are harmless they are still a nuisance to have around as they can destroy woodwork in your home and other household items. Some species of ants have non-lethal stings that can be uncomfortable but not entirely deadly. It would be helpful to identify exactly what species of ants you are dealing with first. Ant species common in West Palm Beach include Fire Ants, Ghost Ants, and Carpenter Ants. Fire Ants are dangerous to those who have allergies and their stings are quite painful and can be dangerous if not treated immediately. Carpenter Ants as their name suggests like to go after woodwork in the structure of our homes. They may take a while, but carpenter ants can completely destroy your home if left unchecked. Ghost ants are tiny and difficult to see. They enjoy sweet foods and can infest your food supplies.
What do I do if I have an ant infestation?
Despite your efforts to keep these pesky insects away, they have found a way into your home and now you are faced with a full-blown ant infestation.
There are certain measures you can take if you have an ant problem such as
- ● Cleaning up after ant trails- because ants leave a trail behind as a sort of map for other ant foragers. Cleaning up after their trails can make ants lose track of how they got into your home in the first place.
- ● Baiting- ant baits are insecticide based ant traps that contain chemicals that are not harmful to humans but are deadly to ants. Baits are mixed with chemicals that attract forager ants and they carry these baits back to their colonies, the bait gets spread in the entire colony and in time a large number of the ants are killed.
- ● Good sanitation- cleaning up your entire home is a very good way to discourage visiting ants from returning. Ensuring that all good stuff is tightly locked away and there are no water spills will help contain your ant problem
If all of this fails to get the job done. Then it’s time to call in the big guns.
Why you should hire O’Hara Pest Control Inc.
Perhaps your efforts at pest control are not cutting it or you simply want the best solution to your ant problem. We advise you to contact a professional pest control service/exterminator. This is where the services of O’Hara Pest Control Inc come in. Without proven expertise in pest control, you can be sure that we will get rid of your ant problem in no time. All of our staff are fully trained professionals and have a track record of getting the job done with no fuss.
We have the best knowledge on all the nooks, crannies and crevices pests love to hide in and the right chemicals to get them out and ensure they stay out. While it might be tempting to go with home remedies, kerosene sprays, and recipes pulled off the Internet, you might be causing more harm than good to yourself and your home by mixing chemicals without any training. Harsh chemicals can damage your skin and organs if inhaled thereby causing a whole different set of health problems for you and your family. Let O’Hara Pest Control Inc take care of your ant problem as we have the proper training and equipment to do just that.
Do not wait for what seems like a small ant problem to escalate into a full-blown ant infestation. Once you notice ant activity in your home, Contact O’Hara Pest Control Inc immediately. We will completely eliminate your ant problem and discourage all pest efforts at reinfestation.